Tuesday, September 20, 2011

College Football....Cheering for UT?!?

One of my good friends from a previous job invited me over this past Saturday to watch the University of Tennessee game.  I am not really a UT fan, not because I don't like them, but just in general.  I am a NC State fan through and through (GO PACK!!)  In an effort to spread some team cheer I found a super cute UT shirt at Target Friday afternoon:


And for your viewing pleasure here I am wearing it Saturday afternoon:






I also told my friend that I would make some sort of goodie and bring it over to have during the game!  I tried to think of a cute way to incorporate football and UT so I decided to make orange cupcakes with white frosting and an orange T.

Slightly healthier cupcakes:

1 box of moist style yellow cupcakes
1c no sugar added applesauce
1c water

Mix all the ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.  The batter was slightly yellowish at this point.  I decided to mix red and yellow gel food coloring together to achieve the orange color batter I was thinking about....it ended up more peach:


I filled each muffin tin up pretty full (the box says it makes 24 cupcakes and this version online said 12) and made 12 cupcakes that were quite large.  Next time I may make them smaller and see how many I come up with.  Bake at 350 degrees for the time suggested on the box.  I was actually impressed with the color once they were cooked:





They definitely turned out more orange than peach which was a good thing.  Using applesauce in place of eggs and oil makes the cupcakes extra moist!  I frosted each cupcake with a little whipped vanilla frosting and drew a T on each with some orange decorating gel (which I found in the Halloween section of Target):


I think they turned out really cute and everyone seemed to enjoy them during the game Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment